Next month, a new eHealth conference – ‘ActivAge’ – organised by the Digital Hub Development Agency (DHDA) and St. James’s Hospital – will “explore the role of technology in supporting healthy ageing”.
The event aims to bring together tech entrepreneurs, clinicians, enterprise support agencies and older people. Guest speakers will include eHealth and ageing experts, and news tech-based healthcare solutions will be showcased.
Initial details have been announced by Edel Flynn, CEO of the Digital Hub Development Agency. Speakers confirmed to date include:
· Dr. David Plans, leader of Product Vision at Biobeats, a biotech start-up that uses biometric data to help people live healthier lives. The company has offices in the USA, the UK and Italy.
· Dr. Lloyd Humphreys, head of Business Development at Patients Know Best, a UK-based social enterprise that uses technology to allow patients to control their own medical records.
· Dr. Richard Pope, Consultant Physician (Telehealth) at Airedale Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in the UK.
· Professor Rose-Anne Kenny, Director of the Mercer’s Institute for Successful Ageing (MISA), and Principal Investigator of TILDA (The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing).
· Brothers Stephen and David Flynn, owners of The Happy Pear natural food market in Greystones, Co. Wicklow, who will present their ‘Happy Heart’ course at the conference. The course was devised by the Flynns with the aim of helping people to reduce their cholesterol levels by up to 20 per cent. It is delivered entirely online through the Happy Pear website, social networks and video tutorials.
· Dr. David Robinson, Consultant Geriatrician at St. James’s Hospital, Dublin.
· Bill Lockhart, Secretary of the Irish Men’s Sheds Association.
‘ActivAge’ will take place at the Digital Exchange, Crane Street, The Digital Hub, Dublin 8 from 9.30am to 4.30pm on Tuesday, 5th November. The conference is free to attend; however, advance registration is essential. To register, and for further information on the conference programme, go to: www.thedigitalhub.com/activage.