It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that young people in Ireland spend more time looking at their smartphones than at any other connected device.
However, as this kind of stuff is important to marketers, it’s always best to have some facts to back up the common knowledge.
According to new research from O2 Media, 78% of 18-34 year olds consider their smartphone/mobile their most important “screen”. 80% of them would sacrifice their TV, laptop and tablet before their smartphone. Just 7% would sacrifice all other screens for their TV.
However, all is not lost for TV, so long as marketing campaigns can also tap into proper mobile marketing.
57% of 18-34 year olds will spend more or the same amount of time looking at their smartphone while watching TV.
“Almost six out of ten 18-34 year olds surveyed spend as much or more time with their eyes down rather than looking at the programme on screen. This is one area where mobile and TV can, and need, to work together to create powerful interactive messages to reach target audiences,” says Fintan Lonergan, managing director of O2 Media.
Key findings of the O2Media research include:
1. 80% of 18 to 34s would sacrifice their TV, laptop & tablet before their smartphone. It is their desert island device that they ‘cannot live without’. TV was selected by just 7% of the respondents and tablets still have a way to go to generate significant media impact.
2. 70% of respondents said their smartphone was “… their first or most important screen”, and this rises to 78% for 18-34s
3. TV is now sharing the living room with mobile.
4. 73% of 18-34s interact with their smartphone more frequently than any other device.
5. 68% in the 18-34 year old bracket said their smartphone was the device they used most to interact online (this figure was 59% across all respondents). Smartphones are emerging as the critical ‘jumping-on point’ online.
6. When it comes to purchasing, the smartphone is currently running second place to the PC screen but significant nevertheless at 16% of 18-34 year olds, with the tablet coming after.